Sunday 6 April 2014

Simple Women's Daybook and Spring 16 & 17



Spring Photos- Day 16 and 17
Now, these might not look much, but when you have pineapples and bananas growing in abundance all around you, it should come to no surprise that these form a large part of my staple diet.
Raw, baked, fried and made into cakes and desserts- what's not to like.

Moving on to:
My next instalment of my 'Day Book', Monthly musings and not so carefully thought out waffling about my day to day existence!
So joining in with thesimplewomansdaybook, here's a look into my life as it stands today the 6th April 2014!


Outside my window...I have a change of scenery..as I'm in Phnom Pehn, Cambodia. It's dark, hot and humid- and i love it! I arrived here yesterday and it's a city that has a great feel about it. My little hotel is down a very dusty, uneven side street, opposite a high walled temple. At this time in the evening there's the sound of people in the streets, frogs in the gutters, motorbikes zooming past-and the chirruping of cicadas in the trees.

I am thinking ...how warm it is, and whether or not the mosquito's that are whizzing around my ankles will bite or not. Might need extra repellent tomorrow!

I am thankful..that I am on holiday.It's been a long hard term and everyone was ready for a break. I am particularly thankful that I'm lucky enough to spend my time here in Cambodia. I'm also thankful that there are less stringent pharmacy laws over here, as I have managed to get some over the counter antibiotics for a throat infection- without the need and expense of seeing a doctor :)

I am creating... some space on my camera card to take lots of new photos this week.. you know me- it will run into the hundreds before the week is up.

I am wearing...My third set of clothes today! Having pounded the aforesaid hot, sweaty and dusty streets of PP in cotton skirts, T shirts and faithful old sketcher sandles..elegance is not an option!

In the kitchen...Sad to say this isn't my kitchen, but I've had some great food today. It started off with lots of fresh fruit, toast and homemade jam for breakfast. Then for dinner this evening was a delicious vegetable stirfry with lemongrass, spicy basil and brown rice.mmm Oh, and there may have been an odd ice cream or smoothie thrown in there somewhere today too!- medicinal purposes only- honest- very soothing for a sore throat!

I am going ..to the museums, markets and killing fields tomorrow, then onwards to Siem Reap.

I am wondering.. how far I actually walked today- I'm footsore and very weary, So I reckkon quite a few miles.

I am reading..lots of easy chic lits on my kindle- perfect holiday reading-although I did pick up another Jo Nesbo thriller from the Hotel Book exchange pile!

I am hoping ..that all will go well next week, when I get to Myanmar. Stepping out into the unknown makes me a little nervous. I know I'd never been to Cambodia either, but Myanmar seems to have a lot of the unknown abot it:)

I am looking forward to ...visiting Angkhor Wat later this week.

I am learning..to cross the road carefully, dodging in and out of motorbikes, tuktuks and cars. I am also learning that you do really need to drink an awful lot of water to replace lost fluids in this heat...and consequently I am learning to never pass up the opportunity of a bathroom when you see one!

Around the house..well, it's not my house,although I wish I had some of the decor,..there are whirring fans, chatter from other guests, the smell of orange blossom and frangipani...and my room that has so much stuff sprawled across it, it looks like I have been here for weeks!

I am pondering..whether to buy some of the lovely crafty things i have seen here or wait until I'm further into my trip..decisions, descisions...

A favourite quote...I haven't really got one for today..although I did think (on more than one occassion today) that 'only mad dogs and Englishmen' - 'go out in the midday sun'..Perhaps I need to add myself to that list too!

A glimpse of my day..


A visit to the King's Palace!

Hope you're all ahving a good day too:)
Amanda x

6 comments:

  1. I love to see those fruits growing on the tree. They seem so exotic to me. I was in my twenties before I ever tried fresh pineapple. I'd seen one before but all of mine came from a can before that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope that you are enjoying your holiday and having a wonderful time away!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds great so far, I hope the rest of your holiday is great too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a stunning photo of the palace - so crisp and clear. And your description of your little hotel/place to stay is wonderful. Hot? oh, that'd be just lovely ...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I felt like I was really with you over there - you have such a way with words. x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope you are feeling better, can't wait to see more photos from your holiday.

    ReplyDelete

If you'd like to make a comment I'd love to hear from you. Thanks :)