Saturday 21 May 2016

When life gives you Lemons...Make Curd!

I have a bit of an obsession with curds at the minute. Everywhere I go there seems to be yet another flavour to try. Now don't get me wrong I enjoy a dollop of Jam as much as anyone, but there's something  about the sunny looking stuff that does it for me. Slathered onto toast, or on bloomer bread, or fresh scones or sandwiched between layers of sponge cake mmmmmm.
Firstly there's good old fashioned lemon, which I always seem to have close at hand. But then sometimes I shake it up a bit and go for an orange or a lime curd. Rarer to find, but equally delectable are ginger or even raspberry curds. Yummy!

But when does a curd become a cheese? Or is it called a cheese depending on where it's made? I have no idea. But what it's called does seem to be questionable. Has any one any thoughts on the matter?

I think I've mentioned in a previous post my newest finding, some fantastic chocolate and orange curd that just tastes like a melted version of the spherical solid kind. What's not to like!
When you think you've got it sussed, the world of toast spreadable loveliness just gets a little bit...well...different..
Certainly different and ones that I am definitely going to try, once I've finished the other flavours I have on the go. I shall keep you posted as to how they are!

Now I'm no expert at making lemon curd, but I have made a few pots in my time. This was partly to feed my lemon curd addiction when I lived in Borneo and couldn't get any...and of course it always made a great present to give to friends at Christmas or whenever (  They would always find a pot of lemon curd or rum butter neatly packaged from me as it was always a good excuse just to make some! :) )

I bought a new preserving book the other week, with the intention of making some jam this summer as well, which should be interesting. It also has some very nice curds and fruit butter recipes in it.
 However I stuck to my old recipe yesterday and made some lemon curd.

You will need :
3 eggs- zest and juice
3 lemons (unwaxed)
4oz Butter
8oz sugar 
You'll need either a double boiler pan, or a bowl sitting over a pan of hot water. I use the later.

Firstly warm through the sugar and cubed butter in the bowl over the pan of simmering hot water. 
Add the zest and juice of the lemons and stir until the sugar has dissolved. I use caster sugar as it tends to dissolve quicker, but I'm sure granulated would be fine too.
Slowly add the lightly beaten eggs to the mixture, all the while keep the water simmering and keep stirring. Try not to let the water touch the bottom of the bowl or the eggs come into direct contact with the heat otherwise they will curdle.
Keep stirring the curd mixture over the pan of simmering water until it is thick enough to coat the back of the spoon. This should take about 20 mins. When I made one yesterday it took longer than that but I just turned up the heat a little for a while to bring the water temperature up a bit. I also found that if the bowl doesn't sit well in the pan, steam tends to escape around the sides and therefore you lose heat! Note to self...get a better bowl next time :)
Once it has started to thicken take it off the heat. (It will thicken much more when cool)

Pour into clean, warm and dry jars, seal and cool.
When it's cold, put on lids and keep it in the fridge.
Because of the low sugar content and the use of eggs, curd should always be kept in the fridge once opened. Homemade varieties should last about 3 weeks or so...unless it all gets eaten up first of course. 

Any thoughts on the whole Curds/ cheese question? What do you call it?
Amanda x

4 comments:

  1. I love lemon curd and go through phases of making it. I always thought cheese was the same as curd but I could be wrong. Yours looks lovely. Good luck with your jam making. I love making jam and eating it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think its all just in the name too :) Thanks for the nice comments, I shall wait and see how the jam making goes:)x

      Delete
  2. Your homemade lemon curd looks wonderful. I've never made it but occasionally I buy it to make a lemon curd cake with, just a Victoria sponge with a bit of lemon curd in the mix and then sandwiched together with the curd. I'm not sure of the difference between the curd and cheese although in our local farm shop the fruit cheeses are labelled to go with savoury cheeses or meats whereas the curds seem to be for sweet things like on toast or in tarts and cakes. I hope you enjoy jam making this year, too:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strangely enough I had a slice of lemon curd cake today and you're right...it was lovely . As for the curd/cheese question...I'm still going to keep asking everyone I know and I might just ask at my local farm shop too. Good idea :)

      Delete

If you'd like to make a comment I'd love to hear from you. Thanks :)